Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Sit next to a learning friend

Yesterday I noticed my host teacher creating a seating chart for the students to use during carpet time. Personally, I was excited about this change. It seemed like she was constantly moving kids away from recess friends and relocating them them next to learning friends. I thought this change would allow for less disruptions and more instruction time.

However, when we discussed this new change she brought up a good point. She told me she hates doing seating charts because she feels it gives her too much unnecessary control.

After reflecting on it my thoughts are... it would be nice if you did not have to control where your students sat. You would hope they would be able make a smart choice and sit next to a learning friend..... but... on the other hand they are only 6/7 years old and they might need some assistance.

I think it would work best for me if I didn't give them a seating chart until they have showed me they can no longer make a smart choice to sit next to a learning friend. If I have to give them a seating chart I would make sure they knew they chose not to follow the directions, therefore I am making the decision for them. That way they know that it was there choice, but they have now lost the privilege so I will make it for them. After they have sat in their assigned seat for a while (planned it by year) I would gradually give them the responsibility to sit where they want.


My second grade host teacher has carpet spots and SMART board spots. Might have to take this into consideration if students are sitting close to the walk area where you would be standing by the smartboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment