Thursday, October 6, 2011

Students taking ownership

I'm subbing on Monday and Tuesday so today and tomorrow I am making up my subbing days. And,  I'm so glad I was there today! In our course readings and classes we are taught to allow the students to take ownership for thing. Today I had the opportunity to see how teaches allow the students to take the most ownership in their classroom.

Come independet reading time she says okay here is our generated topic sheet, this folder is your writing folder/notebook, get writing.

She doesn't go over expectations or what to do or not do. She just lets them have at it.
While the kids are working, or probably not woring, she walks around with sticky notes and writes the good and bad things she sees.

They then regroup at the end of the alloted writing time and she creates an anchor chart of good things and needs improvements.
She reads each sticky note she has written and the kids decide if that is important to do or not.

For example, today we did one for writing....
She pulled up the anchor chart they worked on yesterday and says, "okay these were the things we did well, and here were the things that you all decided needed work."

So today I walked around and wrote down good things and wrote down bad things I saw happening. We then regrouped at the end of the writing time and we talked about each one. The good things were obvious but some things that I would have considered as things as needing improvement they didnt' mind. For example, I noticed friends not using both sides of a paper, but when I brought it to their attention they voted and only a couple of people cared about it.


I liked this style of teaching, because if the students come up with it and they decide it is important they are more likely to follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment