Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I'm an enabler

In the past I have enjoyed 2nd grade, so much I thought I would enjoy teaching it! However, I don't know what it was about this 2nd grade class but..... this last two week rotation I just wasn't on my best game. I learned a bunch and I saw things I hadn't seen before... but as far as classroom managment and how I enteracted with the kids.... I was definately an enabler.

2nd grade is soooo much more independent than 1st grade. Which is nice, but the more indpendent they get it seems the less teacher direction is needed. Also, my host teacher looped with her kids so for the most part they were already aware of expectations and procedures, so I didn't need to do a lot of reminding (although even when I could have reminded... I didn't). I guess I felt that because they were so indepenednet if they needed me then it was for a legit reason... but now I see... nope, you give them the opportunity to talk they'll talk.


I would learn a whole lot if I student taught in her class. She is a great teacher who has given me a taste of what it means to "plan a lesson".
In this class I could focus on actually teaching and less so the behavior problems. She holds them to high expectations which I love!!!!, but I wish I could develop those high expectations for myself. Does that make sense? I would just be following her already set in standards. Although, I would be doing that anyways hopefully by Christmas they have routines and expectations down for the most part.



I don't know! We'll just have to see!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment