Wednesday, October 26, 2011

desk arrangments

Kindergarten, 1st grade, 2nd grade, and 3rd grade desks are all tables. 4th and 5th grade have actual desks.
It wasn't until the 6th week of school did I notice fourth grade desks went from being situated individually to being paired up in pods. I understand why she put them individually at first. I think it minimizes conflicts while you get to learn which students get along with which. Personally, I like pods soo much better. I like the conversation it promotes. But then.. if the kids can't handle the temptations of being seated with other students then they'd loose the privilage of sitting with others.

She assigns each desk a numbe and letter. So pod 1 is constructed of four desks. 1a, 1b, 1c, 1d. Pod 2, Pod 3, Pod 4... etc.
She uses these to call on people to read, or to have people grab supplies, or answer questions.

As I am in her classroom I'm trying to see if I can figure out why she put each student where. I think back to Mrs. Nicholes class where she has a 1, 2, 3, and 4. 1 is a high student, 2, is high average (or a leader), 3 is a low average, and 4 might be a struggler. But as I learned at the TAWL conference you also have to consider personalities... I'm thinking the seating chart will be a big deal for my first classroom.....

No comments:

Post a Comment